welcome message to new users

Go down

welcome message to new users

Post  phoenix on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:38 pm

i don't mean to step on anyone's toes, but i realize there's lot of work to setting up a forum, so i thought i'd pass this along. if you like it, feel free to use, if not, np. Correct anything you like. It's too much work to include everything at once (at least for me), but perhaps this is a start that others can build on:

Welcome, Nuggets! (and prospective nuggets)

What is The Flightdeck?
The Flightdeck is an open forum related to all things Battlestar Galactica, particularly the re-imagined series (the modern, Ron Moore version) and collecting related to it.

What are "Callsigns"?
Your callsigns here is your username. Traditionally, they're nicknames given by pilots and crew to their fellow pilots. This is used in the BSG universe. A callsign isn't just any old nickname, it's usually something that can be said quickly, understood clearly, as its function, in part, is to ID pilots over radio chatter. We just thought it would be natural to think of our usernames here as callsigns, as it fits in so well with the BSG world. Traditionally, your fellows gave you your callsign, but we'll let you pick your own. Callsigns also might play off of someone's name, a memorable (even embarrassing) event, or a character trait. For more on callsigns, check out Wikipedia.

How to Pick Your Callsign:

1. Callsigns don't usually have numbers attached to them; think of yourself as an individual, not one of a series (example: "Athena" vs. "Athena12")

2. Callsigns are usually short, simple, and memorable

3. Callsigns are usually only 1-4 syllables long ("Kat," "Starbuck," "Apollo," "Bobatrek")

4. It might be best to choose a callsign that doesn't sound like one that already exists in The Flightdeck (check the memberlist)

5. It might be best to not pick something closely identified with another "universe" (e.g., "Aragorn," "Magneto," "Aslan")

6. Homophones are +not+ a good idea -- if it sounds the same even though it's spelled differently, it would sound the same over the wireless and you'd be calling two people by the same name (e.g., "Kat" and "Cat")

General Forum Etiquette

This should be a no-brainer. General politeness. Don't call people out. Talk about an issue, not a person.
phoenix

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: welcome message to new users

Post  inthecanpictures on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Thanks for that! No idea is stepping on anyones toes, we appreciate it and the help. Sounds like good ideas...I will call this to Guys attention and see what he thinks. BTW my call sign is ROUGHHOUSE. Thanks again Phoenix-Chris
inthecanpictures

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Legion on Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:49 pm

No toes stepped on, trust me. I've been rushing around trying to get the yard and house ready for my parents' 50th anniversary, so I haven't had a great deal of spare time. So it is very appreciated, trust me. I will never turn down people wishing to help. Let me know what I can do.

Cheers,

Guy
Legion
Admin

View user profile http://theflightdeck.forumandco.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down